Summer is the perfect time for going to the beach, having barbecues and just generally enjoying the great weather. During the summer, it’s easy to get plenty of vitamin D, which helps to boost your immune system and allows your body to absorb calcium more easily, protecting your teeth and bones. However, there are still some risks, so follow our easy tips to keep your mouth in great shape.
- Look after your lips as the skin is very thin and can easily become burned. Use a sunscreen specially designed for lips and reapply it regularly.
- If cold drinks or ice cream cause your teeth to twinge, you may have sensitive teeth. Using toothpaste for sensitive teeth can help, but you must use it for several weeks to get the full effect. If your teeth are still sensitive, come and see us in case you have a dental issue needing treatment.
- Choose sugar-free drinks instead of soft drinks. Diet drinks can also be bad for teeth because they tend to contain acid that erodes tooth enamel. Ideally, sip on water to keep you hydrated.
- Many people are more active during the summer and play sports, but these carry the risk of an injury that could crack or even knock out a tooth. Make sure you wear a well-fitting mouthguard and don’t forget we can provide you with a custom mouthguard for maximum protection.
- Lastly, resist the urge to use your teeth as tools. Using them to open bottles or packets can chip or crack them. The result can be painful and costly to put right, so it’s far cheaper to reach for the proper tools.