This warming stew is super easy to make and is packed with healthy veggies.
2 skin-on and bone-in chicken breasts, halved
1tbsp unsalted butter
1 finely chopped onion
2 finely chopped carrots
2 finely chopped parsnips
2 finely chopped celery sticks
2 cups of diced butternut squash
3 heads of garlic
Pinch of red pepper flakes
4-4.5 cups chicken stock
2 cups chopped kale
1tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4cup chopped fresh basil
2tsp Italian seasoning
179ml tomato paste
Gnocchi cooked according to packet instructions
- Line a baking sheet with foil and preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place chicken breasts on the baking sheet and season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little canola oil.
- Slice the tops of the garlic and drizzle each head with a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap each garlic head in foil and place next to chicken.
- Roast chicken and garlic for 45 minutes, then allow chicken to cool before shredding.
- Squeeze out the roasted garlic, creating a paste and set aside.
- Over medium heat place a large saucepan and heat 3 tablespoons of oil plus the butter. Sweat the onion for 4 minutes until translucent and soft. Mix in garlic. Add the remaining vegetables, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste, cooking for three minutes. Add chicken stock and simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and cook for a few minutes before adding shredded chicken and the herbs. Check seasoning and stir in gnocchi. Serve with warm bread and grated Parmesan.