This recipe is the perfect mix of sweet and salty and is ideal for the summer.
3tsp minced fresh ginger
4tbsp maple syrup
1tbsp corn starch
2 minced garlic cloves
1 cup water
1tbsp sesame seeds
1/3 cup Tamari or low sodium soy sauce
560g can of jackfruit, drained, shredded and seeds removed
1tbsp nutritional yeast
½ cup Teriyaki sauce
1tsp garlic powder
½ cup rice, cooked to package instructions
2 carrots cut into matchsticks
3 thinly sliced green onions
1 head of butter lettuce
½ cucumber sliced into matchsticks
Sesame seeds to garnish
- Begin making the teriyaki sauce by briefly sautéing the ginger, garlic and sesame seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat until lightly browned. You may need to add a few tablespoons of water to the glaze.
- Add the maple syrup, cornstarch, soy sauce and water and whisk to mix thoroughly, and allow to simmer for about three minutes stirring continually until the sauce forms a thin syrup. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and mix together the nutritional yeast, jackfruit and garlic powder. Place the mixture on a silicon baking sheet or parchment paper and bake for half an hour.
- Remove from oven and mix in half a cup of teriyaki sauce and onion and cook for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- To assemble, take a piece of butter lettuce, add a small scoop of rice and teriyaki jackfruit and top with cucumbers, carrots, green onions and sesame seeds. Finish with a drizzle of teriyaki sauce.